Every year, Band For Today hosts a solo contest for students. This contest involves students playing a solo before a judge. The students are rated on pitch, rhythm, technique, and presentation. First, second, and third places receive either a gold, silver or bronze medal and perfect scores with the solo memorized receive an engraved trophy. This is a great way for students to take a little more responsibility for their own improvement as young musicians.
Our 28th annual Band For Today solo contest will be held on Saturday, February 25th. See your student’s hand out or go directly to registration for more details!
- All performance time scheduling is done by Band For Today with no exceptions.
- All students are receiving solos from their band director.
- Beginners will perform either “Sawmill Creek,” “Melody” or “Springtime Waltz”.
- Final information will be e-mailed around ten days before the contest date. If you do not
receive your time by a week before the contest, please call us. 630-420-8556.
- Because these solos are above and beyond the regular classroom curriculum, students need to devote additional individual practice time to their pieces.
Band For Today structures this contest as a positive, educational and rewarding experience for our students.